NYC Chef Instructor
Are you a trained cook? Do you enjoy working with children and families?
Common Threads is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is national in scope but has local footprints in each of our eight major program locations. The mission of Common Threads is to educate underserved children on the importance of nutrition and physical well-being, empowering them to be agents of change for healthier families, schools, and communities. Through our hands-on cooking and interactive nutrition education programs, Common Threads provides a preventative health program solution in urban schools to children, families, and teachers.
We are seeking a dynamic teacher-who-can-cook or cook-who-can-teach to work as a part-time Chef Instructor in New York City beginning this summer. A Common Threads Chef Instructor is the face of the organization, teaching hands-on cooking classes and nutrition education to 3rd-8th grade students, parents, and teachers in school kitchens and community spaces, and establishing relationships with schools, students, families, and volunteers.
All lessons emphasize using fresh, quality ingredients and adopting healthy cooking and eating habits. Each week features the cuisine of a different country or world region and/or a nutrition lesson, with recipes and tastings of typical foods from different cultures.
• Work with students in 3rd-8th grades and their parents, and manage a classroom of up to 20 participants and 4 volunteers
• Teach kids and parents cooking skills and nutrition; give students the tools to make healthy choices
• Communicate with school and partner organization staff and admin as well as with Common Threads Program Managers and support staff
• Instructors will be trained on the curriculum, policies and procedures, and administrative responsibilities
• Instructors are required to follow the approved course curriculum, complete all grocery shopping and submit required documentation
• Administer pre- and post-surveys to students and families and manage paperwork
The above statements are intended to describe the essential job functions of this role and are not an exhaustive list of all duties performed by personnel occupying this position.
• Basic knowledge of nutrition
• Culinary school and/or food industry experience required
• Experience teaching or working with children is strongly preferred
• Reliable and dependable -- able to commit to programs, arrive on time, and proactively communicate any needs or issues
• Ability to be flexible with scheduling and possess a go-with-the-flow attitude
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate remotely with Common Threads staff and one-on-one with school administrators and support staff
• Must hold current food service sanitation certifications
• Must have access to a car and a valid driver’s license OR be very comfortable using public transit
• Bi-Lingual Spanish preferred.
• You will be working as an independent contractor (1099 tax form)
• A background check will be required
• Availability: This position begins in the summer, and will likely continue into the school year. Instructors are required to arrive at class location one hour prior to class start time to prep.
• Compensation is based on a per class rate and will be commensurate with experience.
How to apply: Please apply here: http://commonthreads.org/careers.html. No phone calls please. Serious applicants only, incomplete applications will not be considered. No third-party firms.