About Us: Homes for the Homeless (HFH – non-profit) offers amazing sleepaway summer camp experiences to homeless children and children living in shelters in New York City. Our kids are awesome but bring some of their life challenges with them to camp.
HFH Camps are a brilliant place to work: Our awesome summer team is a supportive, tight knit group. We take care of each other and we take care of our campers. We are all in this together and make a brilliant, rewarding difference in both the lives of our campers and ourselves.
Where: Camp Wakonda and Camp Lanowa are offering an amazing and unforgettable summer helping homeless children experience the great outdoors! Located on fresh water lakes in Harriman State Park and just 1 hour from NYC, we serve a co-ed population of 75 campers ages 7-9 at Camp Wakonda and 120 campers ages 10-13 at Camp Lanowa. For more information about our summer camp program, please visit us at www.hfhcamps.org.
Camps Lanowa and Wakonda, American Camp Association Accredited camps, are seeking Kitchen Assistants for campers ages 7-13. The Kitchen Workers are a part of the daily life at camp and provide necessary services that are the foundation of camp.
• Report to Camp Cook.
• Help maintain a safe, efficient, clean and organized kitchen.
• Assist with table setting in dining area, counter service during the meal. dishwashing, pot washing, and kitchen sanitation after every meal.
• Help check in food deliveries.
• Assist with food preparation as directed.
• Desire to work and live in the outdoors from June 13-August 20, 2018.
• Must be 17 years old and have valid New York State working papers.
• Must have basic food service skills or be willing to learn.
• Must know how to read English.
• Must be willing to work as a team with other kitchen staff.
• Ability to pass a background check, physical exam and be up to date on all required immunizations.
You will also need to provide:
• Three letters of reference
• A physical exam by a licensed Medical Doctor and be up to date with all required immunizations
• Additional special skills and certifications (Guitar, First Aid, CPR, EMT, and other) are a plus.
Summer 2019 Camp Schedule
• Thursday, June 20: General staff training
• Friday, June 28: Session #1 starts
• Friday, August 16: Last day of Camp
HFH Camps is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) committed to equal treatment of all employees without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability or other basis protected by law.