About Us: Homes for the Homeless (HFH – non-profit) offers amazing sleepaway summer camp experiences to homeless children and children living in shelters in New York City. Our kids are awesome but bring some of their life challenges with them to camp.
HFH Camps are a brilliant place to work: Our awesome summer team is a supportive, tight knit group. We take care of each other and we take care of our campers. We are all in this together and make a brilliant, rewarding difference in both the lives of our campers and ourselves.
Where: Camp Wakonda and Camp Lanowa are offering an amazing and unforgettable summer helping homeless children experience the great outdoors! Located on fresh water lakes in Harriman State Park and just 1 hour from NYC, we serve a co-ed population of 75 campers ages 7-9 at Camp Wakonda and 120 campers ages 10-13 at Camp Lanowa. For more information about our summer camp program, please visit us at www.hfhcamps.org.
We are seeking an upbeat and resourceful leader/team player for the position of Camp Cook.
• Work with the Operations Director and other camp leadership to plan, implement, and adapt a camp meal program to the daily conditions of a sleepaway summer camp.
• Prepare and serve three meals and a snack per day meeting schedules and timelines.
• Supervise kitchen and dining room staff for the implementation and development of an effective and enjoyable food service operation.
• Maintain an accurate inventory of all food and food-related items stored in kitchen.
• Maintain standards regarding sanitation, appearance and maintenance of the kitchen, equipment, grounds and outdoor garbage area as set by HFH Summer Camps and the New York State Department of Health.
• Work with the Operations Director and other staff for the buying of food on a weekly basis.
• Desire to work and live in the outdoors from June 13 to August 20, 2019.
• Knowledge of and experience in group feeding operations for 100+ persons.
• Ability to prepare foods according to a diverse menu, mostly from scratch (with exception of baked goods).
• Knowledge of all aspects of Camp Kitchen and Dining Room management.
You will also need to provide:
• Three letters of reference
• A physical exam by a licensed Medical Doctor and be up to date with all required immunizations
• Additional special skills and certifications (Guitar, First Aid, CPR, EMT, and other) are a plus.
Summer 2019 Camp Schedule
• Thursday, June 13: Unit heads, Cook, and Swim Director start
• Thursday, June 20: General staff training
• Friday, June 28: Session #1 starts
• Friday, August 16: Last day of Camp
HFH Camps is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) committed to equal treatment of all employees without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability or other basis protected by law.